The House - 1108 South First
......................................................................................................

Our Chapter House was built between 1927-1931 by Daniel Royer, who also built several other fraternity and sorority houses on our campus. Modeled after the Red House in Bexleyheath, England, our chapter house represents the ideas of the Arts and Crafts movement. This movement emphasized the use of manual labor, personal creativity, master mason's input, and the elimination of machines in production. Furniture created during this time period is sought-after for its high-quality materials and execution, and its rarity. One oversight, however, was the enormous expense of all this "old-world" production. The pieces of furniture were originally designed to be good-quality, hand-built items that the common man could afford and use in his home. As it was, however, the pieces were too expensive for anyone but nobility.

Fraternity houses are usually built to look nice and simply provide the necessary living arrangements for its members. The Alpha Rho Chi chapter house is much more than that. It is an expression of our respect for architecture, and our belief that good design and tasteful aesthetic is sometimes more important than the bottom line.